Loose Leash Walking With Max  

Posted by: Linda Mora Lee in , , , , , , ,

 I have to say on Wednesday I was not so sure that I could get Max to even walk on a loose leash, he was so used to darting off whenever he felt like it, but today I have to give him a great amount of credit. I was not so sure that I even knew what I was doing because I could not really even hear the instructor at the last training class and I guess she did not really care to show me because she was too busy attending to the other dogs that looked like they had been previously trained compared to my Jack Russell. So Last night I decided to go over the papers that she had given us about the training class and try and at least attempt what they had put down on paper. Here is what the paper states if someone would like to also teach their dogs to walk on a loose leash and not have to struggle with their dog to go on simple walk.


Guide To Loose Leash Walks

Have a few treats that your dog likes in your pocket or coat, somewhere you can easily get to them while on your walk.

Relax and hold the leash against your body. The leash should just be hanging at your side.

Give your dog a treat if they are being calm and paying attention to you.

Then you will say the dogs name and let’s go and start walking.

If the dog has tension in the leash then just stop were you are and do not move. Your walking is like a reward for the dog. So if you continue to move while he/she is pulling you then it is like saying this is ok.

Stand there until your dog returns to your side. Once your dog returns then you can continue walking and also give him a dog treat as a reward for coming back.

This will teach your do to stay next to your side if they want to go for a walk.

Also they suggested that you walk in a little faster pace because if you walk to slow with the dog this gives them too much time to get distracted by their surroundings.



Today I tried this method with Max and it really did work. He understood that if he walks to far away from me that I would stop and not move and he returned to my side right away. It was great because even though there were plenty of distractions like out cat Harley he just kept on moving. So if you have a dog that likes to take you on the walk I would suggest trying to use this method because it does really help. If I can get my energetic Jack Russell to follow at my side I am almost sure that any dog can learn this and have success.











This entry was posted on 2:03 PM and is filed under , , , , , , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment